King George's Field

The King George’s playing field was dedicated by the Urban District Council in memory of King George V on 15th May 1951. The King George’s Swanage Charitable Trust, Charity No. 1085459, is managed by the Town Council.

The original gates at the entrance from Victoria Avenue still stand today. The Field has always been popular for sports, dog owners, local families and visitors alike.  King George’s Field is used by the town’s youth football teams on a Sunday in the football season.  

Football pitch hire rates.

Skate Park & Play Area

A skate park has been developed over a number of years and the facilities are being improved as and when funds are available.  This has been achieved through grants and the valiant fund raising by the Y-Axis Skate Park Club which was formed by local adults and teenagers.  A new play area within King George’s was officially opened on the 26th October 2009, with representatives from Swanage Town Council, Purbeck District Council and Play In Swanage.  This area is proving very popular, with innovative equipment to test children’s skill and sense of adventure.

Wetland / Meadow Area

An area of special interest to nature lovers is the wetland/meadow area.  The footpaths are regularly cut and a walkway over the wetter areas allows public access. The natural ponds that have formed attract different species of wildlife.  The surrounding reeds are cut to the ground on a regular basis encouraging new growth, thus preventing the area becoming overgrown with woody species.  Other new plants have started to colonise in this area and under the Council’s management programme should improve and increase.  The meadow areas just to the west of the wetland have been managed to improve the flora. Several Southern Marsh orchids and a lone Bee orchid have made an appearance which is a good sign and bodes well for the future.

Wetland area Swanage plant list